Sunday, May 14, 2017

My First YouTube (Tutorial) Video!






Post 14 of 31 for May 2017!


Okay... I've been meaning to do this for a long time...

And finally, I did it. 

I felt nervous, it felt awkward, and I feel self-conscious putting it out there, but I wanted to challenge myself and get outside of my comfort zone!

The angle's not quite right, the sound volume gets softer and then louder at one point, the microphone placement was too close, BUT... it's got some good advice!

I also think it's totally worth it to let people know about The Aspiring Flutist's Practice Companion, to raise money for the Maverick Flute Choir's trip to NFA (Donate HERE please! Thank you!!), and to share why I don't think double tonguing or thirty-second notes should be scary :-). 




Dangerously Daring Double/Triple Tonguing





I might replace the video with a more polished one some time or I might just leave it. For great flute playing I know that accepting and learning from your mistakes (while appreciating the beauty in what you are doing) is essential, so I'm guessing the same must be true for making great YouTube tutorials! 

Looking forward to sharing more exercises with you in the future...

Happy Practicing!
Terri Sànchez

P.S. A few corrections to things I said in the video! 

1) When I said most people use diphthongs, I meant to say most flutists that struggle with tonguing are using diphthongs. 

2) Younger students may not know the Poulenc Sonata, but most advanced and professional students do! If you haven't listened to it enough to know it, it's definitely time :-). 

3) When I said "the rhythms and the tempos" I actually meant the rhythms and tempo (singular). Didn't want any confusion!